[Haskell-cafe] Having a look at XMonad window manager

michael rice nowgate at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 16:07:00 EST 2010

Well, for starters the Fedora entry for installing XMonad is blank/empty:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Installing_xmonad#Fedora

Some things I've done:

I set up a .xmonad directory in my home directory with this xmonad.hs

[michael at localhost ~]$ cat ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
    --
    -- An example, simple ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs file.
    -- It overrides a few basic settings, reusing all the other defaults.

    import XMonad

    main = xmonad $ defaultConfig
        { borderWidth        = 2
        , terminal           = "urxvt"
        , normalBorderColor  = "#cccccc"
        , focusedBorderColor = "#cd8b00" }

[michael at localhost ~]$

I set up a .xsession directory in my home directory with this in it

[michael at localhost ~]$ cat .xsession
export WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/xmonad"
exec gnome-session

[michael at localhost ~]$

Because supposedly X doesn't even check .xsession file without having xorg-x11-xinit-session installed, I also downloaded that.

I set up a XMonad.desktop file in /usr/share/applications directory

[michael at localhost ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/Xmonad.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xmonad
# change this path according to your xmonad binary
Exec=/usr/bin/xmonad
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-WMName=Xmonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=XMonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=xmonad
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager
X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=true
[michael at localhost ~]$

I added /usr/bin/xmonad to startup applications.

All these things were suggested.

Michael