[Haskell-cafe] GHC bug? Cabal bug? Haddock bug?

Mark Lentczner markl at glyphic.com
Sat Jan 16 23:43:42 EST 2010

AHA!

> Note that after running "cabal haddock" we re-build all of our .hi and
> .o files EXCEPT ./dist/build/HSsyb-with-class-0.6.1.o
>
> And now, since TH generates random symbols, we have symbols in the new
> .hi files that aren't in the old (and only) HSsyb-with-class-0.6.1.o.

So, this leaves us with two questions:

1) Why does "cabal haddock" rebuild the .hi and .o files? On the face of it, this seems odd: Build documentation and your library gets rebuilt?

2) Why doesn't Instances.o get rebuilt? Surely this has something to do with the fact that Instances.hs contains only orphan instances. But any answer here just leads to a raft of other questions:
	Surely this problem would plague other modules have have similar source files?
	What is Haddock doing?
	If Haddock needs the .hi files, why not just use them?
	If it just "builds them to be sure", why in the dist tree and not some place temporary?
	If is going to build .o files, why not all?

Curiouser.....

	- Mark

Mark Lentczner
http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/