[Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Jan 16 14:57:47 EST 2010

Andrew Coppin schrieb:
> Hmm, I wonder if there's some way to compare the size of the language
> specification documents? :-}
>
> PS. It comes as absolutely no surprise to me that C++ has the most
> keywords. But then, if I were to add AMOS Professional, that had well
> over 800 keywords at the last count...
Because those BASIC dialects had a large set of built-in functions that
would have been library functions in other languages. BlitzBasic II had
many such functions defined as library functions. GFA-Basic provided
many system library functions as built-in functions. There was a famous
book about Murphy's law applied to computers where programming languages
were advertised by the number of their built-in commands. :-)