[Haskell-cafe] wildcards for type variables?

Ozgur Akgun ozgurakgun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:19:50 EST 2010

Can someone give an example of a "reasonable" function that never uses one
of its parameters, and justify the existence of that parameter in this case,
please?

Because for this example,
f :: _unused -> A -> B
f _ a = b
I think what I'd do is to write the function f without that first parameter,
and call the funcrtion accordingly.

Best,

2010/1/13 Sebastian Fischer <sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de>

> On Jan 13, 2010, at 6:54 PM, Evan Laforge wrote:
>
>  It's not a big issue, but it seemed like a nice symmetry with pattern
>> matching syntax.
>>

> And I don't think it's a weird idea. The "Haskell dialect" Curry [1]
> supports this syntax. Maybe the hurdle for Haskell is the competition with
> more complex, conflicting proposals like [2].
>
> Sebastian
>
> [1] http://curry-language.org
> [2] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/PartialTypeSigs
>

> --
> Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
> (D.G.)

Ozgur Akgun