[Haskell-cafe] Language simplicity

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 13 14:28:26 EST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 14:25 , Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>>    Andrew> It's weird that us Haskell people complain about there
>>    Andrew> being only 26 letters in the alphabet
>>
>> Which alphabet?
>> You have plenty of choice in Unicode.
>
> Er... I was under the impression that Haskell source code uses the
> ASCII character set, not Unicode.

The Report would beg to differ with you; see section 2.1.  "Haskell
uses the Unicode [11] character set. However, source programs are
currently biased toward the ASCII character set used in earlier
versions of Haskell ."  ("Currently" at the time being 1998.  Unicode
is more prevalent these days.)

> (And even if that's not the case, I've yet to find a way to type in
> the Unicode characters which are hypothetically possible.)

That's a problem with your editor/development environment.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu