[Haskell-cafe] Name overloading

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 14:18:21 EST 2010

Well, you can get part of the way there, by using a class associated type

class HasOpen a where
   type Open a :: *
   open :: a -> Open a

This lets you use type inference in one direction, without requiring that
every result be a member of a data family. On the other hand, type inference
just became directional, like in C#. you can't use the type of Open a to
infer the type a because you've lost injectivity.

You'd need a data type family to guarantee injectivity and determine a from
the context of Open a, and that yields an ugly mess. Since each container
would have to yield a distinct value type and interoperability goes out the
window.

On the other hand, the mixture of fixed type slots and type family slots
gets you a pretty good compromise. You typically know the type of the
structs whose members you are asking for.

-Edward Kmett