[Haskell-cafe] How to fulfill the "code-reuse" destiny of OOP?

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 05:21:02 EST 2010

Yes that is true, but often in Haskell I had to use type annotations
when the dispatch is based on the return type, so it also has some
tradeoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I see the advantages of Haskell's type classes and
closures, and I love these. But in Java - if you stay close to OO, and
don't try to do FP - you can accomplish a lot, albeit with a lot of
boilerplate. IMO, it's not because you have less lines of code in
Haskell, that the code becomes more readable per se. I'm not a Java
expert, but I have no troubles at all reading Java code, even though
that code is typically twice as long as similar C# code, and maybe ten
times as long as Haskell or ML code (at least if the side effects are
kept local enough, which is good practice in OO anyway). But after
many years of playing with Haskell, I still fail to read and
understand a lot of Haskell code (maybe because it is written by
people with a much higher IQ than mine I guess)