[Haskell-cafe] How to fulfill the "code-reuse" destiny of OOP?

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Jan 13 05:00:32 EST 2010

The problem with interfaces as a replacement for type classes is that
they only provide dispatch based on the specific type of the first
argument (i.e. the receiver).

Type classes allow you to dispatch based on return type, and on the
instantiations of generic parameters. Neither of these things is
reasonably possible with interfaces.

For example you can't directly implement the Read type class with
interfaces. Neither can you implement a function of type [a] -> ...
where the dispatch is based on the instantiation of a - even if you can
add an interface to the [] generic type, you might not have a concrete
object of type a to dispatch from if the empty list is passed as an
argument.