[Haskell-cafe] short licensing question

Sebastian Fischer sebf at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Jan 12 14:46:48 EST 2010

On Jan 12, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> But that is the intent of the LGPL, to protect the rights of the users
> *receiving* the code, not to guarantee that modifications are
> available
> to the entire world.

I wonder whether the following statements are valid:

When I write a program that uses an LGPL library, I am allowed to
distribute the *sources* of my program under a permissive (non-
copyleft) license like BSD3.

I am not allowed to distribute my program in *binary* form under a
permissive license (even if I release the sources too).

Am I allowed to distribute the sources under BSD3 and the binary under
LGPL?

Would that make sense? Maybe not, because anyone who distributes a
binary of my program or derivative work must license it under LGPL
anyway.

Sebastian

--
Underestimating the novelty of the future is a time-honored tradition.
(D.G.)