[Haskell-cafe] 64-bit Bloom filters?

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at malde.org
Tue Jan 5 10:19:15 EST 2010

Hi,

I've previously used Bloom filters on 32-bit Linux with some success.
However, after upgrading to 64 bit, my Bloom filter applications crash
or misbehave in random ways.

So: is anybody successfully using Bloom filters on 64 bit computers?

Although I'm not clear on why it would cause crashes (SEGV, infinite
looping, etc), my prime suspect is the hashing function used.  This is
from C and returns a uint32, but it is imported to return a CInt, which
I suspect is 64 bits.

I'll look further into it, but I thought I'd check if anybody else has
the same problem, and especially, a solution :-)

-k