[Haskell-cafe] Why doesn't laziness save the day here?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 03:34:35 EST 2010

2010/1/5 Dale Jordan <dalej at alum.mit.edu>:

> The motivation for iterateR is to be able to have the ultimate
> consumer determine how many random values to force, but still have a
> single random generator used throughout the computation.

Hi Dale

If you want the producer and consumer to run at different speeds with
something in-between to synchronize them (velomorphisms anyone?), you
might want to look at Jeremy Gibbons's spigot algorithm for pi and
also his metamorphisms paper.

That said, I've personally found it hard to frame code in the spigot
style so I couldn't readily offer any tips on the code you've

Best wishes