[Haskell-cafe] Significant slow-down in parallel code?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:14:51 EST 2010

Hi Jamie,

First question, what version of GHC are you using? There are
significant performance improvements to parallel code in GHC 6.12, so
it's worth an upgrade. Once you've upgraded you might want to try out
threadscope which is designed to help track down these sorts of
problems.

If you are using 6.10, I recommend turning off parallel garbage
collection with the RTS flags (see the manual) as that can cause
slowdowns.

Thanks, Neil