[Haskell-cafe] do we need types?

Tom Lokhorst tom at lokhorst.eu
Fri Feb 26 08:03:48 EST 2010

Together with Sebastiaan Visser, I've been working on a library called
AwesomePrelude [1].

This is a library where we try to reimplement the Prelude by replacing
all concrete data types with type classes. This way you can have
multiple implementations of a "data type".

This is our current implementation of a list:

> class ListC j where
>   nil :: j [a]
>   cons :: j a -> j [a] -> j [a]
>   list :: j r -> (j a -> j [a] -> j r) -> j [a] -> j r

The two constructors (Nil, Cons) have been replaced by two equivalent
methods (nil, cons), and the concept of pattern matching for this data
type has been replaced by a single method (list).

A couple of weeks ago, we presented [2] the current version of the
library. Where we have JavaScript instances for the different type
classes. E.g:

> xs ++ ys

Represents a JavaScript AST that concatenates two JavaScript lists.

> And finally, would having only type classes make the type system any simpler?

In our library, the types definitely don't get simpler, but thats
probably because it also still deals with concrete JavaScript data
types.

- Tom Lokhorst

[1]: http://github.com/tomlokhorst/AwesomePrelude
[2]: http://tom.lokhorst.eu/2010/02/awesomeprelude-presentation-video