[Haskell-cafe] Linear programming in Haskell

Louis Wasserman wasserman.louis at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 18:33:14 EST 2010

Yo,

Man, I'd never used FFI before, but it's really not as scary as I'd feared.

I've implemented a more comprehensive interface to GLPK's simplex solver and
-- rather importantly, for my own needs -- its MIP solver.  This doesn't
depend on hmatrix, and in fact, it doesn't require any matrix or vector
manipulation at all -- linear functions are specified as a straight-up
Data.Map from an arbitrary variable type to their coefficients.

The library is now available as glpk-hs on hackage.

Example:

import Data.LinearProgram.LPMonad
import Data.LinearProgram
import Data.LinearProgram.GLPK

objFun :: LinFunc String Int
objFun = linCombination [(10, "x1"), (6, "x2"), (4, "x3")]

lp :: LP String Int
lp = execLPM $ do    setDirection Max
            setObjective objFun
            leqTo (varSum ["x1", "x2", "x3"]) 100
            leqTo (10 *^ var "x1" ^+^ 4 *& "x2" ^+^ 5 *^ var "x3") 600
-- c *^ var v, c *& v, and linCombination [(c, v)] are all equivalent.
-- ^+^ is the addition operation on linear functions.
            leqTo (linCombination [(2, "x1"), (2, "x2"), (6, "x3")]) 300
            varGeq "x1" 0
            varBds "x2" 0 50
            varGeq "x3" 0
            setVarKind "x1" IntVar
            setVarKind "x2" ContVar

main = print =<< glpSolveVars mipDefaults lp

This requires GLPK to be installed, like below.

Louis Wasserman
wasserman.louis at gmail.com
http://profiles.google.com/wasserman.louis