[Haskell-cafe] GHC RTS question

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Wed Feb 24 05:16:48 EST 2010

* Artyom Kazak <artyom.kazak at gmail.com> [2010-02-24 10:23:07+0200]
> 2010/2/24 Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>:
> > On Feb 22, 2010, at 03:36 , Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> >>
> >> * Anthony Cowley <acowley at seas.upenn.edu> [2010-02-21 14:15:00-0500]

> >>  ./prog --RTS "$@"
> >>
> >> Otherwise it will work wrong if arguments contain quoted field
> >> separators (e.g. spaces).
> >

> >  #! /bin/sh
> >  ./prog --RTS ${1+"$@"}
> >
> > The longer specification above should work with whatever /bin/sh is around,
> > whether it's Solaris /sbin/sh, FreeBSD's sh, general Linux bash,
> > Debian/Ubuntu dash, etc.
> >

> And with Windows, of course :) Haskell is cross-platform, isn't it?

Haskell is a language, it does not have any notion of platform.

It has several implementations, which may or may not be cross-platform.
(OP asked specifically about ghc, which supports a number of
platforms, including Windows.)

Here we talk not about ghc itself, but about POSIX shell interpreter,
which is available on every POSIX-compliant operating system.
Windows (out of the box) lacks implementation of POSIX shell.

"Don't let school get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain