[Haskell-cafe] Profiling OpenGL applications

Sönke Hahn shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 23 07:01:26 EST 2010

On Sunday, Andrew Coppin asked:

> Is Thread Scope any use for profiling single-threaded programs?

I used threadscope to look at eventlogs from a program that uses OpenGL to
render multiple frames per second (compiled without "-threaded"). That means,
there is CPU activity regularly (multiple times per second), and this can be
observed via threadscope and i found it somewhat useful.

There are some problems, though:

1. I can't definitely tell, which time span corresponds to CPU activity for the
calculations for one frame. Is it possible to generate threadscope bookmarks
from within the profiled program? (Or other events that can be shown in
threadscope?)

2. The GPU activity cannot be observed. This is not a problem specific to
Haskell, though. Is it even possible (with end user hardware) to get something
similar to threadscope, not for CPU, but GPU activity? Any other ideas, that
might help gathering information, about what's going on on the CPU(s) and the
GPU?

Many thanks,
Sönke