[Haskell-cafe] Some great results on fused code with the LLVM backend

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:42:24 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> I tried out some of the vector and uvector fusion benchmarks with the
> new LLVM backend and got some great results for the tight loops generated through fusion.

This is excellent news!

> The LLVM backend looks very promising -- considering we've not even
> begun to explore the optimization pipeline at the level.

There is a complete cake at:

http://llvm.org/docs/Passes.html (yes, I dabbled in LLVM for some time)

Some of the analysis passes gives us a nice hook into the toolchain
when you want to see what is going on at the lowest level. Some of the
transformations will, perhaps, yield some speedups.