[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Functional Programming User Group Ghent

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Mon Feb 22 04:37:19 EST 2010

> > Great, a fp user group in Belgium! Alas my dutch is too rusty too even
> > understand the Doodle poll description. Is the group planned only for
> > dutch-speaking programmers ?
>
> We're not planning it as a strictly Dutch-speaking event, so you are more
> than
> welcome. I will update the Doodle so it is in English, my apologies!

I think the Dutch Haskell Users Group [1] has met with great success by
establishing English as the lingua franca from the beginning. My impressions
are that we attract numerous foreign visitors (including university staff
and students) and that we have not discouraged very many native Dutch
speakers. Of course, being a foreigner who also has trouble with the local
language, I admit being somewhat biased in this matter.

Regards,
Sean

[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Dutch_HUG