[Haskell-cafe] Re: sendfile leaking descriptors on Linux?

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Sun Feb 21 19:39:24 EST 2010

Quoth Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com>,
> What happens is the PS3 has closed the connection, and if you attempt
> to send any more packets the PS3 will tell you it has closed the
> connection and the write() / sendfile() call will raise SIGPIPE.
> So far there is:
>
>   - no way for anyone besides Bardur to reproduce the problem
>   - no sound explanation for why the PS3 client causes the error,
>     but nothing else does

I think in fact this invalidates your premise.  If the PS3 really
closed its connection in the standard fashion, then it would be trivial
to reproduce this problem with any other peer.  Evidently it doesn't,
at least in this particular case, and that's why people are talking
about TCP keep-alives, which address the defunct peer problem (within
two hours, normally.)

	Donn Cave
	donn at avvanta.com