[Haskell-cafe] Re: Cabal broken on Mac OS X?

Oleg Lobachev lobachev at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Fri Feb 19 09:23:35 EST 2010

Hello,

On Feb 19, 2010, at 12:35 , Christian Maeder wrote:
>> I suspect that it's me and not the cabal, but everything looks fine and still fails. Would someone mind to tell me, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> $ cabal -V
>> cabal-install version 0.6.2
>> using version 1.6.0.3 of the Cabal library
>
> This version of cabal cannot handle ghc-6.12.1 packages.
> You need (to hand-install) cabal-install-0.8.0 for ghc-6.12.1 first.
> (There is no haskell-platform for ghc-6.12.1, yet)

Ok, thank you. The following is for people having the same problem.

I ended headshooting both GHC versions. Then I installed the latest Haskell Platform with GHC-6.10.4. With it cabal works and can be updated. Still, the automagically installed version of cabal is not the newest. But one can use http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/cabal-install/0.8.0/cabal-install-0.8.0.tar.gz to build the latest one.

(Actually, I merely wanted to try Agda...)

Greetings,
Oleg