[Haskell-cafe] Category Theory woes

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Thu Feb 18 20:09:35 EST 2010

On Feb 18, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Nick Rudnick wrote:

> Why does the opposite work well for computing science?

Does it?  I remember a peer trying to convince me to use "the factory
pattern" in a language that supports functors.  I told him I would do
my task my way, and he could change it later if he wanted.  He told me
an hour later he tried a trivial implementation, and found that the
source was twice as long as my REAL implementation, split across
multiple files in an unattractive way, all while losing conceptual
clarity.  He immediately switched to using functors too.  He didn't
even know he wanted a functor, because the name "factory" clouded his
interpretation.

Software development is full of people inventing creative new ways to
use the wrong tool for the job.