[Haskell-cafe] Re: sendfile leaking descriptors on Linux?

Taru Karttunen taruti at taruti.net
Tue Feb 16 16:28:38 EST 2010

Excerpts from Bardur Arantsson's message of Tue Feb 16 22:57:23 +0200 2010:
> As far as I can tell, all nonblocking networking code is vulnerable to
> this issue (unless it actually does use threadWaitRead, obviously :)).

There are a few easy fixes:

1) socket timeouts with Network.Socket.setSocketOption
2) just make your server code have timeouts in Haskell

This cannot be fixed in the sendfile library, it is a
feature of TCP that connections may linger for a long
time unless explicit timeouts are used.

So just document it and in your code using sendfile
wrap it in an application specific timeout.

- Taru Karttunen