[Haskell-cafe] RFC: concurrent-extra

Neil Brown nccb2 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Feb 16 11:18:25 EST 2010

Hi,

I had a look at the code for Event (both versions) and Lock (but not the
others just yet) and it seemed fine.  If you do lots of calls to
waitTimeout before a set you will accumulate old locks in the list, but
that won't cause any error that I can see, so it would only be a problem
in pathological cases.

I'm not sure there is a good way to test MVar algorithms.  One way to do
it (which the Concurrent Haskell Debugger did online, IIRC:
http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/~fhu/chd/) is to reimplement IO to
explore different interleavings of the various MVar calls to look for
deadlocks.  If you're testing STM, generally you can look to capture
invariants of your transactions and check that they hold after each
transaction (e.g. that if the state is Set, there shouldn't be any locks
waiting with an event).

Thanks,

Neil.