[Haskell-cafe] What is the meaning of tilde ("~") symbol

MightyByte mightybyte at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 09:00:14 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> MightyByte wrote:
>>
>> I like that idea.  When I was first learning Haskell, I remember
>> spending a non-trivial amount of time trying to figure out what '$'
>> did.  I incorrectly assumed that it was provided by some library.
>
> Technically, it is...

Hmmm, both Hoogle and Hayoo give me the right answer when I search for
'$'.  For some reason I thought I had tried that without success.
However, I'm pretty sure that was before Hayoo came out; and maybe
Hoogle wasn't as good in those days.  At any rate, they still don't
help for things like '~', so there's definitely a use for a wiki page
like this.