[Haskell-cafe] ANN: wyvern, a Dragon Go Server "client"

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 14 05:02:06 EST 2010

I've just done the first release of wyvern [1], a small program to
play moves for you on the Dragon Go Server [2], along with point
releases for two supporting libraries.

On DGS, people play many games of go simultaneously, making only one
move per day in each game (about). A commonly requested feature is the
ability to specify several moves in advance, and have them be played
automatically whenever the opponent logs in. Wyvern provides this
capability, as well as the ability to program in advance several
"branches" -- conditional on the opponent's move.

Along with wyvern, I've been developing two supplementary libraries.
The "dgs" library [3] is a very small wrapper around DGS' handy robot
interface. The "sgf" library [4] is a parser for the SGF file format
(used to store games of go) that strives to balance using the type
system to enforce the construction of correct SGF trees against
conveniently manipulating said trees. It was also something of an
experiment for me in documentation writing -- I may have gone a little
overboard. =)

If, like me, you love to mix Haskell and go, I invite you to check out
one or more of these and let me know what you think.

~d

[1] http://dmwit.com/wyvern
[2] http://www.dragongoserver.net/
[3] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/dgs