[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Dungeons of Wor - a largish FRP example and a fun game, all in one!

Patai Gergely patai_gergely at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 14 02:21:20 EST 2010

> Seems like today FRP is the last word in game programming with Haskell.
> Do you know something that could be a good tutorial, or at least
> introduction to FRP ? Something that could somewhat help me learn the ropes,
> 'cause I'm afraid if I dive directly into your code I'm gonna be lost.
I don't think there's any material on FRP that could be considered a
general tutorial, because there are many flavours with smaller and
bigger differences, and no-one really seems to know how to program in
this manner beyond toy examples. So, for the time being, I'd probably
start with the original Fran paper [1], which is quite accessible in my
opinion, and even though some of the details are obsolete, it explains
the basics reasonably well. The Yampa Arcade [2] is probably the best
introduction to the arrow-based approach (AFRP). The new Reactive paper
[3] is not beginner friendly, but if you already grokked Fran, it
shouldn't be too hard to follow, and it describes a way to design an
applicative style reactive library with a much cleaner interface than
that of Fran.

Gergely

[1] http://conal.net/papers/icfp97/
[2] http://www.haskell.org/yale/papers/haskell-workshop03/index.html