[Haskell-cafe] Re: How many "Haskell Engineer I/II/III"s are there?

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 13:18:51 EST 2010

2010/02/12 stefan kersten <sk at k-hornz.de>:
> On 12.02.10 16:29, Simon Marlow wrote:
> > I'm aware that some people need a GC with shorter pause
> > times.  We'll probably put that on the roadmap at some point.
>
> for some applications (like realtime audio processing) it
> would be interesting to even have short pause times with a
> guaranteed upper bound, but i realize this is a very
> specialized need that could be better served by making the GC
> implementation swappable (which otoh doesn't seem to be
> trivial).

  I think this is not a unique need. When you consider things
  like scalable network services with strong SLAs, largish
  embedded systems (iPhone, planes, &c.) and other environments
  where verification is a big win, it's generally also important
  to control latency and memory use.

  To be honest, though, I am of two minds about this. Why
  shouldn't we enforce our timing/memory requirements by writing
  EDSLs and compiling them? The approach Atom takes is maybe the
  most flexible option (there be parens, though).

--
Jason Dusek