[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell-Cafe Digest, Vol 78, Issue 14

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 05:32:24 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 17:49 -0600, John Lato wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Gregory Collins
> <greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> > Maciej Piechotka <uzytkownik2 at gmail.com> writes:

> >> Hmm. Am I correct that his implementation caches everything?
> >
> > The one that John posted (iteratees on top of parsec) has to keep a copy
> > of the entire input, because parsec wants to be able to do arbitrary
> > backtracking on the stream.
>
> This is true, however I believe this alternative approach is also
> correct.  The Cursor holds the stream state, and parsec holds on to
> the Cursor for backtracking.  Data is only read within the Iteratee
> monad when it goes beyond the currently available cursors, at which
> point another cursor is added to the linked list (implemented with
> IORef or other mutable reference).
>
> The downside to this approach is that data is consumed from the
> iteratee stream for a partial parse, even if the parse fails.  I did
> not want this behavior, so I chose a different approach.

Hmm. AFAIU your code you are doing something like:

> concatCursor :: (Monad m, Reference r m, StreamChunk c el)
>              => Cursor r m c el -> m (c el)
> concatCursor c = liftM mconcat (concatCursor' c)
>
> concatCursor' :: (Monad m, Reference r m, StreamChunk c el)
>               => Cursor r m c el -> m [c el]
> concatCursor' (Cursor r v) =
>   liftM2 (:) (return v) (readRef r >>= concatNextCursor')
>
> concatNextCursor' :: (Monad m, Reference r m, StreamChunk c el)
>                  => NextCursor r m c el -> m [c el]
> concatNextCursor' (NextCursor c) = concatCursor' $! c
> concatNextCursor' _              = return $! []
>
> parsecIteratee' :: (Monad m, Reference r m, StreamChunk c el)
>                 => ParsecT (Cursor r m c el) u (IterateeG c el m) a
>                 -> u
>                 -> SourceName
>                 -> IterateeG c el m (Either ParseError a)
> parsecIteratee' p u sn = do
>    c <- lift $ mkCursor :: IterateeG c el m (Cursor r m c el)
>    res <- runParserT (liftM2 (,) p getInput) u sn c
>    case res of
>      Right (a, c) -> do sc <- lift $ concatCursor c
>                         liftI $! Done (Right a) $! Chunk $! sc
>      Left   err   -> return $ Left err

Which seems that it should work (I just checked if it is suppose to
compile). Unfortunately I need to work the clash between transformers
and mtl).

EDIT. Ops. sorry. It will not work. However it will (as it should)
return the remaining part back to stream.

> >> I tried to rewrite the implementation using... well imperative linked
> >> list. For trivial benchmark it have large improvement (althought it may
> >> be due to error in test such as using ByteString) and, I believe, that
> >> it allows to free memory before finish.
> >>
> >> Results of test on Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz:
> >> 10:   0.000455s       0.000181s
> >> 100:  0.000669s       0.001104s
> >> 1000: 0.005209s       0.023704s
> >> 10000:        0.053292s       1.423443s
> >> 100000:       0.508093s       132.208597s
> >

> I'm surprised your version has better performance for small numbers of
> elements.  I wonder if it's partially due to more aggressive inlining
> from GHC or something of that nature.  Or maybe your version compiles
> to a tighter loop as elements can be gc'd.

It is possible as my code was in the same module. I'll try to use 2
different modules.

> I expected poor performance of my code for larger numbers of elements,
> as demonstrated here.

I haven't tested for more then 1e5 (which was in comment).

> I envisioned the usage scenario where parsers would be relatively
> short (<20 chars), and most of the work would be done directly with
> iteratees.  In this case it would be more important to preserve the
> stream state in the case of a failed parse, and the performance issues
> of appending chunks wouldn't arise either.

Fortunately parsec does not limit the number of streams per monad so it
is up to user which one he will choose (depending on problem).

> Cheers,
> John

Regards
PS. Why iteratee uses transformers? It seems to be identical (both have
functional dependencies etc.) to mtl except that mtl is standard in
platform. Using both lead to clashes between names.