[Haskell-cafe] Using Cabal during development

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Feb 9 09:10:56 EST 2010

Limestraël <limestrael at gmail.com> writes:

> how do usually Haskell developpers build their softwares (and
> especially medium or big libraries) while they are still developping them ?
> With cabal-install, by doing one 'cabal configure' once and 'cabal build'
> each time they have altered their code ?
> With only Cabal, through some 'runhaskell Setup.hs build's ?

Generally, the first thing I do is hit C-c C-l in Emacs to load the
current file into a haskell process.  Then back to fix the type errors
(click on the error to jump to the code), and iterate until it loads
correctly.

Then I can play with expressions in the Haskell buffer until I'm
satisfied things work as expected.  Now I can use darcsum to record the
changes.

For libraries, I switch to an xterm to do the "./Setup.hs build; sudo
./Setup.hs install" routine.  I guess I could be using cabal-install for
this, but I haven't really gotten around to installing it everywhere
yet.

For binaries, I sometimes build executables using ghc --make in the
shell, using -optl-static -oplt-pthread to build static executables for
distribution to different machines.

This process could probably be improved, but that's how it stands at the
moment.

-k