[Haskell-cafe] Interpreting profiling results

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Mon Feb 8 11:04:44 EST 2010

Hello all,

A friend and I are trying to benchmark some network server code which
runs fine on my OSX laptop (~7500 req/s) but which is >10x slower on a
much faster 8-core Xeon Linux box.

The profiling run on Linux looks like this:

                                          individual    inherited
    COST CENTRE    MODULE  no.  entries  %time %alloc   %time %alloc

    MAIN           MAIN      1         0  95.7    0.2   100.0  100.0

How should we interpret this result? MAIN doesn't seem to correspond to
any user code so we're wondering where the time is going.

G.
--
Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>