[Haskell-cafe] Two GET HTTP requests

Lars Viklund zao at acc.umu.se
Sun Feb 7 13:52:52 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 05:12:23PM +0000, Ben Millwood wrote:
> > This failed with just the text "Bus error". I searched the HTTPBis git repository, but couldn't find the text "Bus error". I don't have a clue of how to fix this.
> "Bus error" is a message generated by the operating system. On OS X,
> it can mean a null dereference, which is very unusual.

You did not mention whether the machine running your OS X was a PowerPC
or an "Intel" machine.

On non-x86 platforms, a bus error is usually caused by misaligned memory
accesses. Unlike the x86 which silently and expensively fixes any
misaligned accesses, sane processors kick and scream, resulting in a bus
error.

Such things tend to happen quite often when development of a software
mainly takes place on x86 family chips, and are revealed when some poor
soul on an UltraSparcIII tries to run them.

Lars Viklund | zao at acc.umu.se