[Haskell-cafe] Re: Category Theory woes

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 11:38:08 EST 2010

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:16:03 -0800, Creighton Hogg wrote:

> 2010/2/2 Álvaro García Pérez <agarcia at babel.ls.fi.upm.es>
>
>> You may try Pierce's "Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists" or
>> Awodey's "Category Theory", whose style is rather introductory. Both of them
>> (I think) have a chapter about functors where they explain the Hom functor
>> and related topics.
>>

> I think Awodey's book is pretty fantastic, actually, but I'd avoid Pierce.
>  Unlike "Types and Programming Languages", I think "Basic Category
> Theory..." is a bit eccentric in its presentation and doesn't help the
> reader build intuition.

I have written an overview of various category theory books, which you may find useful, at the following site:

Learning Haskell through Category Theory, and Adventuring in Category Land: Like Flatterland, Only About Categories
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/learning-haskell-through-category-theory-and-adventuring-in-category-land-like-flatterland-only-about-categories/

Hope this helps.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^