[Haskell-cafe] Anyone up for Google SoC 2010?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:22:05 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Niklas Broberg <niklas.broberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm at a loss as to what criteria is actually used to judge success
> here. It seems to me a bit like the eternal discussion between "basic
> research" and "applied research". Just because something
> (research/library/project) doesn't have an immediate, palpable impact
> and/or delivers a visible tool, that certainly doesn't imply that it
> doesn't have merit or won't have as profound an impact on the domain,
> if more diffuse than a tool (or other palpable deliverable) would.
>
> /Niklas

There may be an eternal discussion on it, but it seems pretty clear to
me which side SoC comes down on: http://code.google.com/soc/

"Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired
with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining
exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the
opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic
pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily
identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is
created and released for the use and benefit of all."

or http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs#goals

# Google Summer of Code has several goals:

    * Get more open source code created and released for the benefit of all
    * Inspire young developers to begin participating in open source development
    * Help open source projects identify and bring in new developers
and committers
    * Provide students the opportunity to do work related to their
academic pursuits during the summer (think "flip bits, not burgers")
    * Give students more exposure to real-world software development
scenarios (e.g., distributed development, software licensing
questions, mailing-list etiquette)

--
gwern