[Haskell-cafe] Re: GUI programming

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Feb 4 05:16:45 EST 2010

Victor Nazarov wrote:
> Speaking about packages. What is current community status of monad
> transformers packages. I'm using MonadIO class and there are mtl,
> monads-fd, monads-tf packages that provide it. I personally prefer
> type families to functional dependencies. Should I use monads-tf, or
> should I stick to mtl?

As I understand it,  mtl  is to be replaced by  transformers  and one of
the  monads-*  packages in the future, though there is no clear
recommendation yet. See also

Also, it seems that there is currently no community preference choice
for either type families or functional dependencies.

Personally, I didn't want to think about this and simply chose  mtl .
But if you like type families a lot, I see no problem with going ahead
and using  transformers + monads-tf .

Heinrich Apfelmus