[Haskell-cafe] Re: GUI programming

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Feb 4 05:16:45 EST 2010

Victor Nazarov wrote:
> Speaking about packages. What is current community status of monad
> transformers packages. I'm using MonadIO class and there are mtl,
> monads-fd, monads-tf packages that provide it. I personally prefer
> type families to functional dependencies. Should I use monads-tf, or
> should I stick to mtl?

As I understand it,  mtl  is to be replaced by  transformers  and one of
the  monads-*  packages in the future, though there is no clear
recommendation yet. See also

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/12229/

Also, it seems that there is currently no community preference choice
for either type families or functional dependencies.

Personally, I didn't want to think about this and simply chose  mtl .
But if you like type families a lot, I see no problem with going ahead
and using  transformers + monads-tf .

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--