[Haskell-cafe] very strange utf8 problem

Günther Schmidt gue.schmidt at web.de
Mon Feb 1 12:03:45 EST 2010

Hi all,

I know this sounds daft but I do have good reason to ask.

Is it possible that GHC's core itself has a problem with a particular
Umlaut only?

HDBC-ODBC won't read in data from an SQLite database as soon as it comes
accross a *lowercase* U-Umlaut ("ü") ghci crashes. Other Umlauts ("ä",
"ö" and "ß") pass however.

This is the error message:

  readUTF8Char: illegal UTF-8 character 252

As I said, other Umlauts do pass.

I got this very message quite often, usually when working with databases
and not always using HDBC but also Takusen. I kept blaming it on
HDBC-ODBC or the input data but I might have been wrong there.
Günther