[Haskell-cafe] [darcs-users] Darcs failure

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sun Dec 26 11:47:02 CET 2010

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> writes:

>> but you should look into the pkill
>> command, which allows you to kill processes (including sending signals
>> other than SIGTERM) by name. It's installed by default on Ubuntu.

Or 'killall'.  Which has (had) the interesting namesake on Solaris which
would indiscriminately kill all processes on the system.

> Gotta love the way that this is THE MOST COMMON USE CASE for kill, and
> yet kill itself doesn't support doing this.

If you have suspended the job (^Z), you can usually refer to its PID as
%%, so e.g.

    kill -9 %%

should do what you want.  If you are a bit more careful, you can list
background jobs with 'jobs' (-l to get PIDs as well), and you can then
refer to each as %N, where N is job number.  So if darcs is background
job number 3, you can type

    kill -9 %3

The nice thing about Unix is that there are pleny of wheels, and you can
pick the one that fits your wagon best. :-)

-k