[Haskell-cafe] (Co/Contra)Functor and Comonad

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Fri Dec 24 15:44:09 CET 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 for adding a Contrafunctor/ContraFunctor to base somewhere. But I agree
> completely with Tony, please call it contramap. ;) Otherwise people will
> wonder why comonads are not cofunctors -- a matter which can be cleared up
> by avoiding sloppy terminology.
>
> +1 for adding Comonads. As an aside, since Haskell doesn't have (nor could
> it have) coexponential objects, there is no 'missing' Coapplicative concept
> that goes with it, so there can be no objection on the grounds of lack of
> symmetry even if the Functor => Applicative => Monad proposal goes through.
>
> I have been meaning to split off a 'comonads' package from category-extras
> for a while, in a way that avoids requiring tons of crazy machinery. I have
> a candidate that I just need to polish up a bit and throw on hackage --
> perhaps that could serve as a straw man proposal?

Yes, please. The interface of Comonad is big enough to require some proper
design, and an exclusive comonads package would be a good place for refining
it.

The same arguments can be made for ContraFunctor, though in this case the
only open questions are only the naming of the module, class and its single
method, and what instances to declare inside the module.