[Haskell-cafe] Proof in Haskell

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 23:57:18 CET 2010

----- Original Message ----

You are both onto something. It is true, but the Coq proof only covered
finite trees. Infinite tree could be defined with coinduction, but even that
doesn't allow the possibility of bottoms in the tree.

CoInductive Tree (A:Set) :=
  Branch (l r : Tree A) | Leaf.

CoFixpoint mirror {A:Set} (x : Tree A) : Tree A :=
  match x with
  | Leaf => Leaf A
  | Branch l r => Branch A (mirror r) (mirror l)
  end.

Also, you'd have to define some notion of Bisimilarity rather than working
with the direct equality.

CoInductive bisimilar {A : Set} : Tree A -> Tree A -> Prop :=
  | bisim_Leaf : bisimilar (Leaf A) (Leaf A)
  | bisim_Branch (l1 r1 l2 r2 : Tree A) : bisimilar l1 l2 -> bisimilar r1 r2 ->
bisimilar (Branch A l1 r1) (Branch A l2 r2).

I was hoping to write a proof, but it's much more annoying to work with
coinductive definitions.

Brandon