[Haskell-cafe] Installing snap-server with gnutls on OS X with Homebrew

Benedict Eastaugh ionfish at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:17:25 CET 2010

Hi -café,

I installed Snap 0.3 last night on my Mac, and had some problems
getting it to build with SSL support. This is just a quick note of the
extra flags I had to pass in when installing it in case someone else
has a setup similar to mine. These instructions presume that you are
using the Homebrew package manager on OS X, and that Homebrew is
installing packages into /usr/local.

You first need to install the gnutls library.

    brew install gnutls

Then install snap-server.

    cabal update
    cabal install snap-server -fgnutls

Note that while gnutls' dependencies libgcrypt and libgpg-error also
need to be in the path, they are dependencies of gnutls and will both
be installed when you install gnutls with Homebrew. Cheers,