[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on Debian - gcc compilation problem with cabal installed libs like hmatrix, etc.

gutti philipp.guttenberg at gmx.net
Sun Dec 19 21:32:00 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm very new to Haskell and this Forum, just doing my first steps ... -- Try
to use the hmatrix package for vector and matrix calculations.

The haskell compilation works (no problem in GHCi mode), the gcc however
compilation fails with messages like:
EFA.o: In function `r1bo_info':
(.text+0x48): undefined reference to
`hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfNumVector1_closure'
EFA.o: In function `r1bs_info':
(.text+0x10a): undefined reference to
`hmatrixzm0zi10zi0zi0_NumericziVector_zdfFractionalVector_closure'

Obviously gcc doesn't know where the according libraries are installed. Same
problem with other packages.

I installed the haskell base system over debian (debian squeeze), gcc
version 4.4.5. - Hmatrix and other packages are installed and build over
cabel into local folder ~/.cabal/lib

Do I need to set a system path, or change cabal options or .. ?

Thanks in advance, Phil