[Haskell-cafe] Why is Haskell flagging this?

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 22:27:06 CET 2010

I think it is giving you the error because you the "fmap" in your code is
operating on the IO monad and not the List monad. In order to get it to
work, you can remove the IO layer with ">>=" as below:

f :: [Int] -> IO [Int]
f lst = do return lst

main = do let lst = f [1,2,3,4,5]
          lst >>= return . fmap (+1)

Or you can not wrap the list in IO to begin with, my guess is that you wrote
'f' to make the compiler happy at some point in development:
main = do let lst = [1,2,3,4,5]
          return $ fmap (+1) lst

-deech