[Haskell-cafe] Haskell, Step by Step, Tutorial, Developing a Whole Application

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Dec 17 10:21:47 CET 2010

Mathijs Kwik <bluescreen303 at gmail.com> writes:

> It's indeed hard to really explain what I feel is missing.

I think the basics are well covered, with lots of introductory and
tutorial material available.  The advanced stuff is very abstract and
general, and the difficult part is developing an intuition for how and
when to apply the different patterns.

Anyway - *I* would like lectures on video.

I guess I'm just much better at learning from lectures than from text,
but I've recently started to watch on-line lectures¹, and this is great,
as you get lecturers from world-leading institutinos which you can
watch whenever convenient.

Are there any video material on either advanced functional programming,
or functional progamming in the large?  This would be really great.

Of course, a video lecture has some advantages (you can pause it to get
a cup of coffee or look up some stuff), but also disadvantages (you
can't ask the lecturer, and there's usually no exercises or other
stuff).  So I think it'd be ideal to combine each lecture with a Stack
Overflow-like forum - it seems this could add a lot of value.

But I digress.  Any videos out there?

-k

¹ So far, I've been through:

1.  Teaching College level science from MIT, really great stuff
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-95j-teaching-college-level-science-and-engineering-spring-2009/video-discussions/lecture-1-general-principles-of-teaching/

2. As suggested by Alberto G. Corona in an earlier thread, a Yale course
   on evolution, giving a very nice - if not very deep - overview of the
   field, with lots of fun examples.
   http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6299F3195349CCDA

3. TED talks.  http://ted.com/ - I guess you know about these.

4. Oh, yes, I've also been watching Greg Meredith's videos, which are
fun, but perhaps aimed at a somewhat different target.

-k