[Haskell-cafe] handling multiple versions of a data structure

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 21:58:45 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't tested this idea, but it occurred to me that this might be a good
> place for data families:
> data Z = Z
> newtype S n = S n
> -- Some nastiness to avoid having to see into the future?
> type family Pred n :: *
> type instance Pred (S n) = n
> type instance Pred Z = Z
> class MyDataClass ver where
>   data MyData ver :: *
>   upgrade :: MyData (Pred ver) -> MyData ver
>   -- other methods that won't change from version to version
> class Less a b
> instance Less Z a
> instance Less a b => Less a (S b)
> convert :: Less a b => MyData a -> MyData b
> -- you may need a method in Less to witness the less-ness, but then you'd
> iterate your upgrade until you reach the version you want.
> -- Then you might want to abstract over this class with an existential, so
> it doesn't infect other things:
> data MyDataGeneral = forall ver. MyDataClass ver => MyDataGeneral ver
> -- now make instances for versions you have, with data instances for your
> current version of the structure.
>
> This might not even compile as I just wrote it into my email client, but it
> seems like it could work. Any comments?
> Dan

The Happstack project includes versioning in its serialization libraries -

Here is the API reference:

http://happstack.com/docs/0.5.0/happstack-data/Happstack-Data-Serialize.html

Although I don't know if there are any good tutorials on using it
separated from the Happstack persistence layer.

Antoine