[Haskell-cafe] Cabal message problem.

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 16 14:32:51 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:08:23AM +0000, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> But: I'm always puzzled by build-dependencies like "A <= 3.4.5".
> With the "major.minor.release" scheme,
> a change in "release" means no API change (just bugfix),
> in "minor" means compatible extension of API,
> and only "major" changes can break the API.

According to the official Haskell package versioning policy [1], given
A.B.C it is only B that must change when breaking the API, and C must
change when extending the API.

If you download a package and it builds with newer versions of some
packages than it says it allows, you ought to notify the maintainer so
they can upload a new version with updated version constraints.

-Brent

[1]  http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy