[Haskell-cafe] Cabal message problem.

Magicloud Magiclouds magicloud.magiclouds at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:24:30 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2010 13:35, Magicloud Magiclouds
> <magicloud.magiclouds at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  I see this kind of information a lot when I using cabal to install
>> package. Or sometimes same packages both exist in global and user
>> space, which is a "shadowed by" message.
>>  How to resolve that? Thanks.
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-
>>    Cabal- is unusable due to
>> missing or recursive dependencies:
>>      process-
>>    (use -v for more information)
> This means you built Cabal- against process-, but have
> subsequently upgraded (or downgraded or uninstalled) process.  As
> such, rebuild Cabal.
> "ghc-pkg check" will give you a list of all broken packages.
> --
> Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
> Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
> IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

The annoying thing is, I did not upgrade Cabal. Cabal and process are
now coming with ghc 7. But many cabal packages do not know about this,
I am not sure if this is cabal's fault or the packages'. So when
installing some packages by cabal, they install the same version of,
for example, process again. Then other packages depend on Cabal will
give out this error.