[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.0.1 developer challenges

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 22:37:28 CET 2010

Hi Peter

> I beg your pardon? I didn't say anything about "32M". I  said that
> designing software to rely on a GHC-enforced memory limit as a  means of
> "dealing" with infinite loops feels really not like a particularly  good
> solution.

As I understand the discussion, it's not about infinite loops. John's code
seemed
to be about calculating more realistic memory limits so GHC will start
collecting
garbage more aggressively, rather than growing unnecessarily past the point
where swapping begins. That seems to be generally a good idea, even if it
would also make it a bit less annoying to kill programs in infinite loops.

Brandon.