[Haskell-cafe] Weird error during derive- build

Alex alex.shtf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 23:07:25 CET 2010

Hi all.

I am trying to install the "yi" editor using cabal-install, which in turns
installs the package 'derive-'. I get the following error during
derive's compilation:

[53 of 58] Compiling Data.Derive.Internal.Traversal (
dist/build/Data/Derive/Internal/Traversal.o )

    Illegal instance declaration for `Applicative (Writer w)'
        (All instance types must be of the form (T t1 ... tn)
         where T is not a synonym.
         Use -XTypeSynonymInstances if you want to disable this.)
    In the instance declaration for `Applicative (Writer w)'
derive- failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Of course, I tried to build it with --ghc-option=-XTypeSynonymInstances,
which in turn gives another compilation error.

I am using ubuntu maverick 32-bit, with ghc-6.12.1 and cabal-install 0.8.2.
The ghc was installed from the package repository. Cabal was installed

cabal-install cabal