[Haskell-cafe] A home-brew iteration-alike library: some extension quiestions

Permjacov Evgeniy permeakra at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 21:08:22 CET 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Haskell-cafe] A home-brew iteration-alike library: some
extension quiestions
Date: 	Thu, 09 Dec 2010 23:07:49 +0300
From: 	Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra at gmail.com>
To: 	Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com>

On 12/09/2010 10:54 PM, Antoine Latter wrote:
> I only have some surface level questions/comments -
>
> What existing packages is this similar to? How is it different from
> any previous work in the area?

Main idea was taken from Iteratees invented by Oleg Kiselev (there are
two packages on hackage implementing this ideas: data-iteraties and
enumerator packages)
The difference is, that I wished haskell-2010 compilant package for
left-foldable streams, including support for easy builing, transcoding,
merging and folding of streams relying on do-notation (see
Data.Iteration.Unicode.* for examples of transcoding streams: it is
quite clean and easily understandable) and ability to specify easily
monadic actions in stream processors.
> Also, likes looks like you don't need the 'Monad m' constraint on your
> various Monad and Functor instances in Data.Iteration.Types, which I
> think is one of the nicest properties of the continuation-based
> approach to something like this.
Errgh. That may be true, but I did not consider non-monadic context at
all, so I enforced this constrain mindlessly
> It's a mater of taste which way to go, but I prefer importing modules
> qualified rather than have type-suffixes on functions - so I would
> rather use 'I.next' and 'A.next' instead of 'nextI' and 'nextA'. But
> reasonable people can disagree on this.
>
> Take care,
> Antoine
Thanks!