[Haskell-cafe] hackage dependencies for cabal setup scripts

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:12:26 CET 2010

On 8 December 2010 17:02, Sönke Hahn <shahn at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If you write a cabal setup script with user hooks, is there a way to tell
> cabal-install that the setup script itself depends on some package from
> hackage? (The dependency would be cabal-macosx in my case.)

No, the Cabal spec has no support for that. It is assumed that
Setup.hs scripts have minimal dependencies, since the original idea
was that these would be the first user interface, so they must
compile.

My plan is to move away from Setup.hs being the primary user interface
and that would in principle make it possible for Setup.hs scripts to
have other dependencies, however we will need to extend the Cabal
specification and .cabal format to enable it.

Duncan