[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.0.1 developer challenges

Anders Kaseorg andersk at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 8 08:17:28 CET 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 13:42 -0500, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> We went over this some time back; the GHC runtime is wrong here, it
> should only disable flags when running with geteuid() == 0.

No.  +RTS flags on the command line, at least, need to stay disabled in
all cases, not just setuid binaries.  There are many situations where
you can arrange for untrusted command line arguments to be passed to
normal non-setuid binaries running with different privileges, including
some that you might not expect, such as CGI scripts.

We can possibly be more permissive with the GHCRTS environment variable,
as long as we check that we aren’t setuid or setgid or running with
elevated capabilities, because it’s harder to cross a privilege boundary
with arbitrary environment variables.  But, as already demonstrated by
the replies, this check is hard to get right.

Anders